This info-graphic really emphasized, for me, the the need for teachers to carefully consider the  literature that we make available to our students and include within our lesson plans! As part of a mini-inquiry into Decolonization practices that can be applied within the classroom, I wanted to create a tangible resource focusing on the work of BIPOC, and especially First Nations authors and artists from Canada.

In order to decide on which books to include (and there are  many more wonderful books out there) I went through the curriculum for each grade, noting  the big ideas and curricular content requirements.  I pulled out the main themes and then cross referenced them with other grades to see if I could combine any of the grades ( as this was a very quick project).  Once I had determined the major themes, I chose three books, with the goal of  including local and global BIPOC authors & stories,  books about pre-colonial history and a selection of brilliant graphic novels that tell inspirational stories of indigenous futurism, paired with incredible art.  Each of these  books looks fantastic, and I hope to add those that I still do not have  to my personal collection very soon.

Resources

Kids Books Still Have a Lack-of-Diversity Problem, Powerful Image Shows by Natalie Stechyson