ā€œWe have to go from what is essentially an industrial model of education, a manufacturing model, which is based on linearity and conformity and batching people. We have to move to a model that is based more on principles of agriculture. We have to recognize that human flourishing is not a mechanical processā€“itā€™s an organic process. And you cannot predict the outcome of human development. All you can do, like a farmer, is create the conditions under which they will begin to flourish.ā€ – Sir Ken Robinson [source]

I love this quote. I love the possibility it presents. I love the idea of simply being a farmer, cultivating the environment and in doing so supporting young people. I love that Sir Robinson sees young people as Whole, not Ā  incomplete, not to be controlled or changed, but rather organic beings on their own journeys and if we are lucky enough to play a small part in that, we should do our best to do our best. I love that it leaves room for all of us to grow and change.

The level of Ā engagement, self-awareness and personal growth which the students of High Tech High demonstrated, Ā reminded me of the young people at A.S Neill’s Summerhill School (1960’s). Both schools embrace a student centred model, where their young people are encouraged to engage deeply with the learning material, as well as to reflect on their personal development and goals. Although, I value the level freedom and choice that Summerhill students were given around their learning, I greatly appreciated the example that High Tech High offered in providing both a traditional learning opportunities mixed with the flexibility of incredible learner-led project based challenges.

Additional Resources

Summerhill, a short documentary by Dennis Millar, presented by theĀ National Film Board of Canada, 1966.

Neustatter, Angela. (2011) Summerhill School and the do-as-yer-like kids. The Guardian.

High Tech High Student Projects – a collection of student projects, organized by grade and subject