As part of my inquiry project, which I am starting to worry I will never be able to wrap up …I participated in the Vancouver Art Galleries “Space Comics” workshop with Cole Pauls.

During the 1 hour on-line  workshop Pauls talked about his creative process, shared how his Tahltan heritage influences his work and what has surprised him most about being an author/illustrator, all while showing participants how to build and illustrate a Zine!!

J. Riddell Matte. ‘Porridge Porridge’ Zine. 2021

The zine was done on a single piece of paper, divided into 6 illustrated pages, plus the cover and end pages. It was  incredibly satisfying attempting to tell a story within such narrow parameters, and I think that this design could also be applied to a more free-form art making process.

This would be a great activity for older students (grade 3 +) and could be applied to themes across the curriculum.  I wonder if there is a way to construct one, with the same template but using a digital platform? Or upload for further editing/enhancement using a digital program?  Something to think about….

Resources::

Vancouver Art Gallery:: Art At Home project – a fantastic complication of comprehensive art lessons!