Authentic vs Artificial Self is something that I’ve been thinking about for a while now, both as a grown-up human person and professionally.  The closer I am to having the privilege of engaging small humans in learning, the more important it feels that I gain a better grasp of this in order to be the kind of teacher I hope to be!

One of the things I appreciate most during this interview was Maxwell’s  perspective on ‘value’ as it relates to how we see and engage with our students, the enjoyment that we take from our job as teachers and how these contribute towards creating a greater sense of community that supports authentic learning.   He also suggests that in order to foster authenticity we must provide opportunities for young people to experience true accountability, both as a learning tool and community building,  similar to the summative exhibition held at High Tech High.

I  found this next video to be extremely valuable in perspective building and expanding on the understandings of authenticity, and value, as they occur beyond the self and out into the wider world.

Although Jodi-Ann Burey is speaking about authenticity in the workplace,  her message is an important one to consider, as it truly applies to classroom communities and all places where people are. IF we are to be our authentic selves and teach from a pedagogy of authenticity, then we must hold space for our students (and fellow humans) to be their authentic selves as well.  As teachers, I believe that this applies to the  personalities, learning preferences and interests held by each of our students.  If we are not willing to accept our students as whole people,  just as they are, everyday, then we are not leading from a place of authenticity, our students will likely not feel the safety/acceptance to be their authentic selves and their learning opportunities lessened.

I know, that as pre-service teachers, we have all heard all of this before but in the crunch of the day and the beautiful mess that is  life, I think that it is worth repeating, remembering and intentionally practicing personal authenticity every chance we get .

As a final note:

If you google ‘Authentic Leadership characteristics’ you will find  lists of traits which those individuals deemed successful in this practice hold; integrity, purpose, fostering relationships, leading with heart, long-term goals (teaching with the end in mind) and consistency, just to name a few, but in this last offering Christopher Emdin proposes that we, as teachers, add “create magic” to the list.

I believe that teaching is an art. And when you accept this artistic assignment, don’t let anyone take it away from you. Be that unique teacher you were born to be, and share your experience and passion with your students. Try out those great ideas that are percolating, and watch the magic happen in your classroom. Persevere in spite of any fears that your activity might not be the best one. It’s OK! Through choosing authenticity, you will be able to grow as an educator and, through that work, create meaningful experiences with your students. – Lisa Dabbs for Edutopia